In 1912 the first assembly and sales activities were started in a former warehouse in Minneapolis by Ford Motor Company. Nowadays Twin Cities Assembly Plant is located next to the Mississippi River in the Highland Park neighborhood of St. Paul. It was in operation from 1925 to 2011. At the time of its closure it was the oldest Ford plant still in operation.
The plants final products were the Ford Ranger pickup truck and the similar Mazda B-Series. Previously, the plant had manufactured the Ford Model T, Model TT truck, Sportsman convertible, Galaxie, and LTD.
From 1926 to 1959 the plant produced glass for vehicle windows with silica mined from sandstone on site. The resulting tunnels underneath the plant remain.
The plant produced its last vehicle on December 16, 2011.